Vacancies at Carcinus Ltd
If you would like to be considered for any of our vacancies, please complete the form below. Current opportunities are advertised below, so please check the website regularly for updates or sign up to our newsletter via the link at the bottom of this page to receive our latest news and vacancies via email.
Aquatic / Marine Ecologist and Consultant
Location: Southampton, other locations (or remote working) considered depending upon experience and circumstance
Salary: Competitive (dependent upon experience), plus benefits package
Deadline: 31 July 2022
Carcinus provides a unique mixture of high specialised environmental services for marine, estuarine and freshwater environments. We therefore seek an individual with the passion and desire to be involved in a wide range of services, ranging from fisheries and benthic ecology surveys, to utilising novel technologies such as ROVs and aerial UAVs for ecological and asset inspection purposes, as well as environmental consultancy. Our team provides these specialist services, from our base in Southampton, throughout the UK and overseas.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate their ability to operate within a commercial context and will be expected to work directly with the company Directors and management teams to provide our current service offering and shape our growing capabilities.
Our benefits package includes flexible working arrangements, 27 days holiday (increasing in line with length of service), pension, cycle to work scheme.
About Carcinus Ltd
Carcinus Ltd was established in 2016; since that time, Carcinus has undergone rapid growth in terms of revenue, capability and innovation and is now a leading provider of specialist aquatic environmental consultancy and survey services in the UK.
We provide consultancy advice and support as well as ecological, environmental and asset inspection survey services to clients throughout the UK and overseas, with projects as far afield as the Middle East and the Arctic circle. Our clients operate in a range of industry sectors including, civil engineering and construction, ports and harbours, oil and gas, new and existing nuclear power, renewable energy (including offshore wind, tidal energy and wave energy), public sector, government, NGOs, transport and water.
Through our use of the latest technologies, techniques, innovation and recognised best practice, we aim to lead the way in providing robust and reliable environmental advice, services and support to the industry.
You will have:
- Commercial experience of undertaking freshwater and / or marine ecological surveys.
- Experience of drafting technical environmental and ecological reports.
- Knowledge of environmental planning and consenting and associated legislation.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to producing accurate and high-quality deliverables and services.
- A commercial mindset with experience of providing input into tendering and bids from within a commercial setting.
- An entrepreneurial mind-set, with an interest in facilitating the expansion of the business and the services that it provides, including helping to develop new technologies to drive the business forward.
- An interest in developing new skills, including obtaining relevant qualifications (e.g., electrofishing, UAV pilot etc.).
- A good degree in a marine or biological science.
- 1 – 2 years of relevant industry experience, including working on offshore and inshore vessels.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with generally strong IT skills.
- Experience of utilising GIS and statistical analysis software (QGIS, R, Primer etc.).
- Experience of using and maintaining ecological survey equipment, including grabs, trawls, DDV systems etc.
- Experience of maintaining and building strong client relationships.
- A willingness to work flexible working hours, including nights and weekens where appropriate.
- Ability to travel and work away from home.
- The desire to work outdoors and in all weathers and aboard sea going vessels.
- A Full UK Driving Licence.
- An understanding of how field data fits into the wider EIA and consenting process.
- Experience of image analysis and data interpretation (including statistical methods) for benthic ecological purposes.
- Knowledge and experience of benthic taxonomic ID and analysis.
- Knowledge and experience of marine and freshwater fish ID.
- Understanding of electronics, networking and interfacing of computer and survey systems.
- In-date offshore medical (BOSEIT / ENG1 etc.) or ability to pass one.
- Sea Survival and other vessel qualifications as appropriate (e.g. Advanced Powerboat, VHF Radio).
- First Aid at Work.
- Relevant professional memberships and accreditations.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please complete the form on this page (select “CAR_Mar_Ecol_22” as the job role) and provide a short covering letter (< 1 side of A4) outlining your suitability for the role along with an accompanying CV (max 2 sides of A4).
As a growing organisation, we are always interested to hear from candidates who have marine and freshwater ecological and environmental experience. Specifically within the areas of benthic ecology, fisheries, asset inspection, environmental consents and licensing and environmental impact assessment.
If this sounds like you, then please send your CV and a covering letter via the form on this page (select ‘Speculative’ as the ‘Job Role’).
Offshore Survey Personnel
We undertake a wide range of offshore survey services and are interested in hearing from freelance personnel who may wish to be considered for offshore environmental survey work. All prospective candidates must hold relevant offshore safety / survival (Boseit) and medical certificates (e.g., OGUK).
Does this sound like you? If so, then please send your CV and a covering letter via the form on this page (select ‘Freelance’ as the ‘Job Role’).